Monday, February 2, 2009

One Day At a Time: The Joyful Life

Why is it that I am happy all the time? People comment on it, that I smile all the time and just seem to enjoy life. I do enjoy life. I do smile a lot, but I have a reason. I have Christ in my heart. Why shouldn't I be happy? Why shouldn't I be joyful? I believe that as a Christian, my call is to be a light to the world. If I am complaining about my job, or how I don't have a boyfriend, or how my teachers are unfair I am not going to be a light. When I talk about negative things too much (more about that later) I draw attention to myself. When I talk about good, true, pure, and lovely things I can only bring glory to my Creator, the Author of all that is good.

I am not blind to the bad things in this life, the little annoyances that get under our skin and tend to fester there until something happens to make us blow up. I do not deny their presence. I accept them as the consequence of living in a sinful world. After all, there is no use complaining about something that I cannot change. If I cannot change it, I won't complain about it and I will try my best to find something good about every situation that I find myself in. I got a bad grade on a test? I know how to study better next time. I got placed in a job that most people hate? Well, I will do that job to the best of my ability and make myself a blessing to those around me so that they do not hate it so much. I catch a cold? Well, I have a hard time saying anything good about colds, but at least I get to wear comfy clothes and eat chicken soup!

Do you see my point? Life is too short to always be complaining. We should live it joyfully, always looking for the best aspects of it! God is so good to us! He gave us sunshine and snow, flowers and fall, friends and family- in short, there are too many good things around us to always be looking at the bad. I believe that we short change ourselves when we focus in on the negatives. We can be really happy if we choose to be. God did not mean for us to be grouchy, grumpy, unhappy, complainers. He wanted us to be like little children. How do little children act? Happy! They are always laughing, smiling, wondering at the strange, beautiful world around them! Let's be like little children and live a little!

Love and peace!

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment